Stocking a quarantine kitchen
Here are 10 versatile shelf-stable staples to stock in your pantry that can help you make meals – whether you're staying at home due to the pandemic, quarantined for illness or preparing for a weather-related disaster
· Canned and dried beans – Use them to make soups, stews, chili or nachos, or just enjoy a bowl with a biscuit or cornbread.
· Rice – Use as a base for stir fry, homemade sushi rolls or as the starch for a meal.
· Canned or pouch meat/seafood – Use to make chicken or tuna salad, add to hot pasta or rice.
· Pasta and noodles – Use for Italian meals or to add to soups or stews. Cooked noodles and pasta can also be used to make cold salads.
· Canned fruit – Use for fruit salad desserts or smoothies.
· Canned vegetables – Add to eggs to make quiche or frittata. Use in soups or stews.
· UHT/shelf-stable milk
· Bread, biscuit or roll mix – Find one that is “just add water/milk/buttermilk.”
· Oatmeal – Keep old fashioned oats on hand for cookies, homemade granola or breakfast cereal.
· Broths/bouillon – The is useful for flavoring and as a soup base.