EAT RIGHT: Five things you should know about food
It’s quiz time. To how many of these questions about nutrition do you know the correct answer?
1. Carbohydrates are converted to fuel for our muscles and our brain. Which of these foods is not considered a carbohydrate?
a. Banana; b. Butter; c. Bacon; d. Bread; e. Beef
2. Milk from mammals contains a natural sugar known as what? (That’s why sugar is listed on the nutrition facts panel!)
a. Maltose; b. Lactose; c. Raffinose; d. Maltitol
3. What has the most calories per gram?
a. Fat; b. Carbohydrate; c. Alcohol; d. Protein
4. An avocado is technically what?
a. A vegetable; b. A fruit (berry); c. A bean; d. A nut
5. Which of these statements is true about a registered dietitian nutritionist, or RDN?
a. A registered dietitian nutritionist is a credentialed term that is authorized by the Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR).
b. Registered dietitian nutritionists have at least an undergraduate degree (many have a master’s degree). They complete a supervised internship to gain experience in different areas of nutrition, and have to pass a nationally administered board exam to become nutrition experts.
c. Many states require registered dietitian nutritionists to be licensed to practice nutrition.
d. Registered dietitian nutritionists must complete continuing education annually.
e. All of the above.
The bottom line
If you have questions about food and nutrition, ask an expert who has education, credentials and training. For more information go to www.eatright.org.
As for the answers:1: b, c and e; 2: b; 3. a; 4: b; 5: e.
Talk to Leah
Leah McGrath is the corporate dietitian for Ingles Markets. Follow her @InglesDietitian. Contact her at Lmcgrath@ingles-markets.com, 800-334-4936 or at www.ingles-markets.com/ask_leah.