Don’t miss: Important back-to-school dates
A new school year is fast approaching. Make sure you're ready with these important dates:
- The state tax holiday starts at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 4 and runs until midnight Sunday, Aug. 6.
- The first day of school for Pickens County School District students is Aug. 17, 2017. The last day of school is June 1, 2017.
- The first day of school for Greenville County Schoolsstudents is Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017. The last day of school is Wednesday, June 6, 2018.
- The first day of school for Spartanburg District 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and most 7 students is Aug. 17, 2017. The last day of school is June 1, 2017.
- The first day of school for Spartanburg District 5 students is Aug. 17, 2017. The last day of school is May 31, 2017.
- If you are the parent of a child headed to kindergarten, The Children’s Museum of the Upstate will host its annual Countdown To Kindergarten 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 11. Admission is free for all rising K5 kindergarteners and their families.
Kindergarten and first-grade registration
Children who will be 5 on or before Sept. 1 of the current year must enroll in public or private kindergarten unless the parent or legal guardian signs a waiver. Any child who will be 6 on or before Sept. 1 of the current year must enroll in first grade.
To enroll a new student in kindergarten or first grade, a parent must present the following at registration:
- State-issued birth certificate
- Properly Completed Immunization Certificate or Religious Exemption Certificate (Religious Exemption Certificate provided by Health Department)
- Two forms of proof of residence (two documents required such as a current electric bill or current mortgage/lease statement.
To find out where your child will attend kindergarten or first grade in Greenville County, call the INFOLine at 355-3100 or visit https://public.greenville.k12.sc.us. For information in Pickens County, call 864-397-1000 or visit http://www.pickens.k12.sc.us/parents/registration. For information in Spartanburg, contact your district.