20 Questions: WYFF’s Chris Justus
Chris Justus has gained fame as one of WYFF News 4’s meteorologists, but he’s also a new dad. Residents of Travelers Rest, he and his wife, Lauren, are parents to 1-year-old Mason, and the young family loves spending time in Chris’s native hometown of Hendersonville, North Carolina, where his own parents operate Justus Orchard.
1. What’s the funniest thing your son has done?
He has learned how to dance and now when he hears anything remotely containing a beat, he dances! It’s adorable.
2. What quality do you most admire in others?
Humility. Anyone that can humble themselves before God, their family and their peers usually has other traits such as love and kindness.
3. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
Going to Lake Hartwell with my family, riding horses on the farm and learning how to play baseball from my dad.
4. How do you juggle being a working parent with a young child at home?
When I’m home, I’m home. I put the phone down and live in the moment with my family.
5. What advice would you give other working parents?
Time is your biggest gift, so choose wisely how you spend it. Even though some weeks may leave you less time with your family, make those moments you do have count.
6. Where’s the best place to take kids in the Upstate?
Falls Park is always a good bet. When you need a good treat head to Cool Mama’s up in Travelers Rest. Mason also loves the train at the Whistle Stop Café in TR.
7. What’s your super power?
I’m pretty good with numbers. It must be all of the math classes during college. I’ve been known to be a human calculator at times.
8. What is your favorite TV show?
I love Netflix. “Bloodline,” “Breaking Bad” and “The Walking Dead” are some of my favorites.
9. When you were younger, what did you want to be?
Ask any of my childhood friends, I have always wanted to be a meteorologist. Growing up a farmer’s son, I knew the impact of weather and wanted to figure out how it worked from a very young age.
10. What are your hobbies?
I love being on the water, the lake or the beach. I also love watching my Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Braves play ball.
11. What is something important life has taught you?
None of us are promised tomorrow. Know where you are going after we leave this earth and enjoy the short time we are here with those you love.
12. What is your favorite family ritual?
Every Christmas Eve night we read the Christmas story in the Bible to remember the real reason for the celebration. Afterwards, everyone is allowed to open one present before bed.
13. What always makes you laugh?
When Mason discovers something new. It’s sweet, but also hilarious. He likes to point at it so you see it, as if he is trying to show you something new too.
14. What would surprise people about you?
I’m left handed.
15. What has surprised you most about being a parent?
How much it changes you! From the very second Mason was born, that parent-to-child bond is real and it is lifelong.
16. What is your favorite indulgence?
McFlurries with extra M&M’s or Reese’s.
17. Whom do you most admire?
My dad. He has taught me how to love God, swing a bat and be a man.
18. If you could have dinner with anyone, who would you choose?
The Carolina Panthers head coach, Ron Rivera. I would love to hear about his plans for the Panthers moving forward and getting them back into the big game.
19. What book do you most recommend to others?
The Bible. It’s a road map for life reading and studying it will light your path.
20. What’s your signature dish?
I can make a mean shrimp po’ boy!
Find more at www.upstateparent.com
Looking for more stories about local people in Greenville-Spartanburg? Things to do with kids? More stories relevant to families? Visit www.upstateparent.com.