Cool off with these Upstate shaved ice, ice cream businesses
Need a way to cool down in this heat? We've compiled some of our favorite snow cone, shaved ice and ice cream destinations in this list for families.
SHAVED ICE AND SNOW CONES
The Snow Castle
2109 Woodruff Road, Greenville
Hours: noon – 10 p.m.
• This fun location offers 116 flavors of New Orleans-style shaved ice along with funnel cakes, fried oreos and fried candy cars. You won't miss the building in front of Big Lots — it's shaped like a castle!
The Nomadik Few
11201 Anderson Rd, Greenville, Greenville
• The Nomadik Few just opened a permanent location in Greenville on Anderson Road, and they're known for serving organic flavors and fine ice.
Rita's Italian Ice
2400-A N. Pleasantburg Dr., Greenville
Hours: noon – 9 p.m. Sundays – Thursdays; noon – 10 p.m. Fridays – Saturdays
• This chain restaurant features a drive-thru and sit-down area inside if you need to bring the kids indoors to cool off while you enjoy a treat.
Penguins Shaved Ice
10852 Anderson Road, Piedmont
Hours: 1 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
• This family-run stand features three penguins in its logo, representing the owners' three children. You can mix and match different flavors — just ask!
3243 Wade Hampton Blvd., Taylors
Hours: 1 – 9 p.m.
• Visiting this Upstate stand is a tradition for many families in the Upstate. It has been located in Edwards Forest Plaza in Taylors for 30 years.
3004 Reidville Road, Spartanburg
• Located across from Mary Black Hospital, this small stand is reasonably priced.
Sandy’s Shaved Ice
Highway 9 and Rainbow Lake Road, Boiling Springs
• This popular spot is another family tradition for many.
2619 Poinsett Highway, Greenville
Hours: noon – 9 p.m.
7327 Reidville Road, Woodruff
630 W. Main St., Spartanburg
Hours: noon – 9 p.m.
• With locations throughout the state, Pelican's SnoBalls are another fun destination. "Love this place," writes one reviewer. "I bring my wife and 5 kids every chance we get. Got to spend some time just talking with the owners, they are great guys. The ice is so soft, it's like eating real snow."
Hub City Scoops
147 E. Main St., Spartanburg
• Owned by the Silverman family, this new-to-Spartanburg ice cream parlor offers super-premium quality ice cream imported from Wisconsin.
120 N. Main St., Greenville
• This dessert shop is fairly new to Greenville but offers indoor and outdoor seating and a variety of flavors. It's known for offering 15 preset of rolled ice cream flavors, but you can also create your own flavors by adding toppings and mix-ins.
Stanley's Ice Cream
3601 E. North St., Greenville
• This family-run shop is where an old Baskin-Robbins location used to be, and it offers many flavors, along with sundaes, milkshakes and banana splits.
Marble Slab Creamery
108 N. Main St., Greenville
• Visiting this downtown ice cream parlor is a tradition for many, and with good reason. The flavors are homemade daily using fresh ingredients.
Kilwin's Chocolates, Fudge and Ice Cream
220 N. Main St., Greenville
• Right outside of the Hyatt Regency Hotel, this dessert shop has it all, from candied apples to a variety of ice cream flavors.
Spill the Beans
531 S. Main St., Greenville
• This Falls Park on the Reedy coffeehouse serves more than lattes and mochas. They also have a selection of ice cream flavors.
Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe
9 W. Washington St., Greenville
• This family-owned shop sells authentic artisan gelato made fresh daily in its cafe.
624 S. Main St., Greenville
Easley Town Center, Easley
• This frozen yogurt shop is made from organic yogurt, fresh fruit toppings and other ingredients.
1 Ray E. Talley Ct., Simpsonville
• If you prefer Baskin Robbins flavors of ice cream, there's still a location in Simpsonville, featuring their famous 31 flavors of ice cream
1125 Woodruff Road, Suite 1602, Greenville
• This chain restaurant dishes up ice cream, cakes, smoothies and shakes.
Bruster's Real Ice Cream
207 Pelham Road, Greenville
1850 Wodruff Road, Greenville
6412 White Horse Road, Greenville
405 S. Buncombe Road, Greer
3841 Grandview Dr., Simpsonville
5152 Calhoun Memorial Highway, Easley
3201 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Anderson
1644 John B. White Sr. Blvd., Spartanburg
100 Peachshed Road, Spartanburg
2099 Boiling Springs Road, Boiling Springs
• With locations across the Upstate, it's easy to find a Bruster's near you.
Joe's Ice Cream Parlor
136 E. Main St., Easley
• This Easley eatery is a favorite of locals, known for its hot dogs and ice cream.