Kid’s craft: Homemade Modeling Clay
Do you have a future sculptor in the family? Does your child love to get their hands dirty and play with clay? Do you wish there was a better version of what you can buy in the store, and perhaps smells a little better too?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we have a project for you. This is so easy and your kids can help too.
- 3 cups all purpose flour; plus additional if needed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 3-ounce package flavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup hot water
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Airtight containers
- Help little ones measure and combine flour, salt, cream of tartar and gelatin into mixing bowl.
- Add oil and stir.
- Adults: Heat water in microwave-safe measuring cup and heat 1-2 minutes until hot. Carefully add to other ingredients, stirring until combined. — It will get thicker and begin to form a ball.
- Let cool to touch before kneading.
- Knead until dough reaches desired consistency — you may need additional flour to reduce stickiness.
- Store in airtight containers.
Although this is made from edible ingredients, we do not recommend that children actually eat this dough. If they do, however, it will not harm them.
Grab your favorite molds and cutters, and have fun with your homemade dough.
The complete, step-by-step photos for this and all our craft projects are on our Pinterest page. Follow us at https://www.pinterest.com/upstateparentsc/ for parenting tips, new products, recipes and much more.