Father’s Day kids craft: Paracord Keychain
Do you still need a gift for Father’s Day? This is a great project for kids to make for Dad. If they can tie their shoes, they can easily make their favorite guy a cool keychain.
Parachute cord (paracord) has made its way to the crafting spotlight in recent years and I can see why. It’s durable, versatile, comes in a multitude of colors, you can get almost anywhere and it’s relatively inexpensive. You can even find books for other crafts using paracord, but let’s start with a quick, practical keychain Dad can surely use.
- 1 inch split ring or small carabiner (approximately 1 ¾ inch length)
- Ruler/tape measure
- Masking tape
- White glue
- Make a tape loop around half of ring or carabiner and tape securely to surface.
- Measure two pieces of paracord. One 18 inches, another 36 inches and fold in half to find center.
- Pull center points through the ring.
- Pull ends through center loops to create a knot. Pull tightly. Flatten to show 4 strings with shorter pieces in the center.
- Using the 2 outside pieces, start with the left string, cross over the two center pieces leaving a space on the outside. With the right string, cross under the center pieces.
- Feed opposite ends through the loops and pull tightly. You are making a knot around the two center pieces
- Repeat this process, starting with the right outside piece over the center and the left piece under.
- Continue until the pattern is approximately 2 ½ inches long. (The outside pieces will now be much shorter than the inside pieces).
- Wrap the 2 inside pieces around the outside and pull through to finish.
- Tie all four pieces into a knot, pull tightly to secure and trim excess length.
- To prevent fraying, dip ends in a small amount of white glue and let dry overnight.
Have you made one of our craft projects? Do you have an idea for one we should try? Send me a note at email@example.com and let me know.
Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, too. Each week we pin step-by-step photos of our craft projects and have lots of other helpful pins to keep kids busy and make your summer a little more fun. https://www.pinterest.com/upstateparentsc/