Kid’s Craft: Paper Tube Firecrackers for Memorial Day
With this coming weekend marking the unofficial start to summer and the time of year when we honor our current and former service people, there are bound to be parades, picnics, parties and probably fireworks to celebrate Memorial Day.
What do you do with all those bath tissue and paper towels tubes? We have a great way to recycle by getting the kids to make a festive centerpiece.
The creative possibilities are almost endless with this craft and you can make it again and again throughout the summer to celebrate any patriotic holiday.
- Bath tissue, paper towel and/or wrapping paper rolls (cut into various lengths)
- Construction paper
- Patriotic scrapbook paper and stickers
- Red, white and blue tissue paper
- Red, white and blue craft paint
- Red, white and blue card stock
- Red, white, blue and/or silver curling ribbon
- Small foam or paintbrushes
- Compass or soup can (for tracing circles)
- Decorate outside of tubes with paint, paper and stickers. Tape or glue edges if using paper. Let paint dry before adding stickers.
- Cut tissue paper into strips of various widths. Fold into quarters, lengthwise. Then, cut multiple slits about halfway down and unfold.
- Layer three pieces of tissue fringe in varying colors and widths. Measure and cut layers together to approximately 6 inches. Lightly glue layers together and set aside.
- Place a small amount of glue on top inside edge of tube. Wrap fringe around first two fingers and insert into top inside edge of tube. Separate fingers to adhere the fringe to the inside of the tube. Fluff fringe.
- Using a compass or soup can, draw circles on cardstock. Cut out circles. Then cut a slit from edge to center.
- Tape or glue a few pieces of curled ribbon at the center point of the slit. Fold circle into a cone and glue or tape edges together.
- Bend top edge in slightly and glue the cone to the tube. Let dry.
Arrange the finished firecrackers in the middle of the table and surround them with all those covered dishes your guests bring to the party.
For step-by-step photos and more great kids’ crafts, follow us on Pinterest. Each week we have a new project for you at https://www.pinterest.com/upstateparentsc/